Thursday, October 16, 2008

BRIDAL PICTURES, A TREK AND LAST MINUTE PREPARATIONS


June ended and July began in a very busy way. Brian and Kayla came down for a ward shower, bridal pictures, some shopping on Craigslist, addressing invitations, picking out a wedding cake, some more shopping and a ward trek!


Lisa helped Kayla do her hair for the bridal pictures. It took a few hours and lots of hair product.



Kayla wanted to have her bridal pictures taken at the temple. Ernie, our photographer, thought it would be neat to have them taken in the evening when the light was just right. There wasn't anywhere to change so we had to get Kayla in her dress outside (holding up blankets) at a church nearby. To my horror, I found that I had forgotten the slip! The slip is extremely important because it gives the dress it's shape. I didn't know what to do. I thought everything was in the bag with the dress but there was no slip. I started to question if the dress shop had given me the slip. I'm afraid I had a melt down. I called home and thank goodness Suzi was still there. She found the slip and brought it to us. She also grabbed some flowers from a vase on my table. I must say that Suzi saved the day. By the time we were ready I was afraid that it was getting too dark but Ernie didn't seem worried. He took some beautiful pictures. Brian came along for the bridals too and that made it extra fun.



Ernie went right to work. Brian got the posing thing down immediately.
























After the weekend of showers, Craigslist shopping, invitation addressing, etc. We took a few day break and went to Rocky Ridge near Martin's Cove on a trek with our ward. This was just three weeks before the wedding. We slept in tents, pulled handcarts and became pioneers for a time. It was a good and humbling experience for all of us.





Rachel's favorite part of the trek was square dancing with Brian.


Usually treks are for the youth and their leaders. I am so glad that the whole family, which is very rare, was invited on this one. It was fun to have grandparents, babies, children, etc. I was really glad we got to bring Parker along. Notice Tyrel and Suzi's clothes. Suzi made her dress and his vest. They looked so good and very festive for the upcoming 4th of July holiday.







We had a program at this ampitheater on our last night there. Rachel sang and Tyrel spoke about the man he walked for who died at Rocky Ridge.


I am always happy when Tyrel is with me. He helps me keep a good eye on everybody, especially his younger siblings.
Tim thought Kayla looked so pretty in her blue pioneer dress and bonnet. He told her so every few minutes. We were all liking Brian's "scruffy" look. Such a cute couple....and so ready to get married!

On July 18th we all headed up to Rexburg to be with Kayla when she received her endowment in the new Rexburg, Idaho temple. Grandma and Grandpa Salisbury came and so did Tim and I and Brian's parents. Grandma Wilkins (Kayla and Brian's adopted grandma in Rexburg) was there and so was Kayla's organ teacher. Rachel and Parker waited for us outside of the temple.



After we were done at the temple we went to a nearby park and celebrated Brian and Rachel's birthdays which are both on July 18. Brian's mom, Sandi, and I ordered sandwiches from Broulims and we had a picnic topped off with an ice cream birthday cake. After that we went back to Kayla and Brian's apartment and they finished unpacking and organizing so they'd be ready to move in when they got home from their honeymoon.


The next morning I grabbed Kayla and ran to Utah so we could take advantage of a couple of days to finish getting ready for the wedding. Brian went with his parents to Blackfoot and then on to Salt Lake where he waited for his siblings to fly in from all across the country.


It was a fun and exciting week. There was a Cook family shower, shopping, packing, a Cook family no-talent show and lots of anticipation. Before we knew it, the big day was here!

No comments: